Cleveland Hearing & Speech Center
Title: Development Associate
Reports To: Director of Development
At Cleveland Hearing and Speech Center, our development department is ambitious, strategic, and collaborative, focused on supporting programs and services that are critical to our community. We seek a team member who is high-energy, outgoing, self-motivated, and good humored who can help us advance our mission.
Reporting to the Director of Development, the Development Associate is responsible for identifying, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding current and potential donors to secure gifts in support of CHSC’s strategic priorities and fundraising initiatives. The Senior Development Associate also has responsibility for the management and oversight of annual fund solicitation program, moves management process, database integrity, unrestricted grant solicitations, and special event solicitations. The Senior Development Associate will actively maintain a portfolio of approximately 100 active donors and prospects with special emphasis on guiding and securing leadership and legacy gifts and commitments for the agency. Participation and assistance with other CHSC priorities and events is expected.
The ideal candidate has experience with annual fund programs, a thorough understanding of moves management, experience maintaining a donor portfolio, possesses an understanding of both the art and science of fundraising, database knowledge, possesses analytical skills, is organized, detail-oriented and able to multitask. The ideal candidate is someone who has a natural hunger to truly advance the philanthropy program at CHSC.
Since this much of our philanthropy work is critical to our organization, and at times high-paced, it is vital that this candidate has a mature mindset and can work very well on the team. We are team that builds each other up, pitches in to help when necessary, and uses ingenuity to get the job done.
The ideal candidate will be:
– Entrepreneurial / Innovative: Track record of producing excellent results in the face of obstacles.
– An effective communicator: Able to articulate mission to wide range of stakeholders, superb writing/editing skills, ability to effectively communicate within team, highly organized.
– A natural relationship-builder: Able to gain trust with internal and external stakeholders from all backgrounds, ability to network, recruit and bring in young professionals
– Results driven: able to self-motivate, work well under pressure, and handle many projects at once.
– Eager to learn: A lifelong learner with the willingness to proactively seek out knowledge and skills to grow professionally and contribute in new ways.
– Mission drive: The ability to remember that at the end of the day, we exist because we are in the profession of changing lives. It’s not about us but about the “who” that we serve.
– Self-starter: ability to own areas of responsibility and proactively execute major duties and responsibilities.
Oversite of Primary Objectives:
– Manage a portfolio of active donors and prospects with specific goals and benchmarks intended to secure annual, major, planned, and planned gifts; organize prospect visits efficiently and strategically, including CHSC staff as appropriate.
– Responsible for the strategic management and coordination of annual fund (individual giving and unrestricted grants). Develop a comprehensive annual action plan detailing CHSC annual fund solicitations and communications (direct mail, telemarketing, e-solicitations, web and social media).
– Collaborate with the Director of Development regarding individual solicitation strategies and special constituency solicitations for CHSC annual fund and other funding priorities as needed.
– Provide direction to the Development Coordinator regarding database oversight, ensure policy and database integrity/usage is consistent at all times, and identify and offer appropriate training that the Development Coordinator may need.
– Ensure success of annual fall benefit by overseeing and managing volunteer committee, and meeting sponsorship/revenue goals.
– Build and maintain an in-depth knowledge of CHSC, its funding priorities, and giving opportunities in order to articulate a compelling case for support and collaboration with agency programs and other initiatives to engage donors and friends in meaningful ways.
– Develop partnerships with internal and external constituencies.
Major Duties and Expectations
1. Build and maintain an in-depth knowledge of CHSC, its funding priorities, and giving opportunities in order to articulate a compelling case for support and collaboration with agency programs and other initiatives to engage donors in meaningful ways.
2. Plans and coordinates department annual fund campaign.
· Develops comprehensive annual fund action plan and associated dates including formal annual fund solicitations and communications. This plan should include new donor acquisition strategies, as well as strategies to move donors into higher giving levels.
· Develop annual fund dashboard, using metrics agreed upon with Director of Development, to track progress towards goals and giving trends.
· Responsible for managing project details – design, language, mailing lists, etc. and responsible for executing solicitations timely, efficiently and effectively.
· Reviews donor database to help determine strategy for annual fund campaign.
· Oversees Board Giving campaign, focused on fulfilling pledge commitment and accurate tracking of individual board giving activities.
· Develops, implements, and tracks CHSC employee giving.
· Supports annual fund campaign through writing and strategizing with development team.
3. Manage a portfolio of active donors and prospects.
· Responsible for assigned list of donors for donor solicitation and cultivation for annual fund leadership and major gifts.
· Identify planned giving, new donor, and major prospects.
· Organize prospect visits efficiently and strategically.
· Maintain and cultivate positive relationship with donors by using personal knowledge of donor habits, personalities, likes/dislikes, etc. and regularly updates donor records within donor database for historical knowledge.
· Implements move management system to track donor cultivation/solicitation process. Regularly provides updates to Director of Development.
4. Identify, cultivate, and solicit corporations and foundations based on CHSC goals and objectives.
Recommends solicitation strategies for corporations and foundations as it relates to CHSC’s campaign, special events, program and operating needs.
Researches and reviews potential local and national funding sources.
Meets with Program Directors to identify and evaluate appropriate partnerships with other nonprofits in order to seek new and increased sources of funding.
Prepares, writes, edits, proofs and submits grant proposals and applications.
Researches statistical data to provide needs analysis as required for grant applications.
Meets with appropriate personnel and assists with planning and making arrangement for site visits, including appropriate follow-up.
Maintains appropriate documentation and files.
Completes all necessary post-grant reporting requirements.
Prepares monthly Grant Activity Report and other reports as requested by management.
Works in cooperation with Communications Manager to publicize funded grants.
Manages corporate sponsorship requests, including request letters, personal contacts, and request amounts for the benefit or other events.
Obtains patrons for the Program Book, working in cooperation with Communications Manager and volunteers.
Plans and coordinates development department events such as: fall benefit, donor recognition event, annual meeting, and any other donor cultivation or fundraising events.
Identifies dates, locations of events, coordinates marketing initiatives with Director of Marketing.
Interfaces with vendors, contractors, board members, CHSC staff and volunteers to ensure successful donor cultivation events.
Develops benefit volunteer committee; oversees live auction and sponsorship activities
Determines marketing strategy – invitations, social media, eblasts, online reservation through Big River, etc. and ensures that marketing strategy is executed timely in order to ensure well-attended events.
Develop new donor relation events/opportunities to steward and cultivate donors.
Supports comprehensive campaign through proposal writing and strategy development for foundations and corporations. Files appropriate reports and stewards donors. Other activities as needed.
Cultivates relationships that will assist in providing funding and/or services that meet CHSC’s goals:
Researches individuals, board members, alumni, corporations, civic and church groups, etc.
Attends meetings, social events and speaking engagements when requested to inform organizations regarding the mission of CHSC and particularly the need and benefits of funding.
Attends Resource Development and Benefit Committee meetings as requested and provides information and data.
Assists with CHSC special events and activities as necessary, including but not limited to:
Benefit, Annual Meeting, Garfield Dinner, United Way Services Campaign, campaign events, etc.
Assists in the development of CHSC communications:
Researches and obtains information and data from inside and outside CHSC.
Recommends and drafts articles, editorials, commentaries, etc.
Reviews and researches trade literature, journals, magazines, etc. and attends conferences and seminars within budget in order to develop new ideas, processes, practices, etc. that would increase the number and amount of foundation and corporate funding opportunities.
Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Authority Within CHSC’s Policy & Procedures
1. Administers CHSC’s foundation grants ensuring that grants are written and that all reporting requirements are completed in a timely manner.
2. Meets with foundation grant and corporate sponsor personnel.
3. Acts as a spokesperson for CHSC at speaking engagements.
4. Provides support for special events.
5. Provides support for Annual Fund Drive.
6. Interfaces with donors and potential donors to answer questions, provide information and ultimately increase gifts to CHSC.
To Apply: Send cover letter, resume, three references, and salary requirements to: Sara Thomas at email@example.com (Please do not call).
1. A bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, public relations or its equivalent in experience is required.
2. 3-4 years fundraising experience is preferred. Preferably with annual fund and direct solicitation experience.
3. Experience with fundraising software, particularly Raiser’s Edge is preferred.
4. Excellent written, verbal and organizational skills required.