The ALS Association Northern Ohio Chapter
Position: Director of Events and Marketing
Reports To: Executive Director
Job Status: Exempt
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Benefits: Paid time off, medical/dental/life insurance, and retirement
Hours: Minimum of 40 hours per week; frequent extended hours
Location: Independence, OH
To provide anticipatory, forward-thinking and self-starting management of major operational events for the Chapter. To ensure the Chapter mission, services and financial needs are communicated clearly to the public through Chapter materials, e-communications, social media and video and advertising.
POSITION DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
– Develop an annual comprehensive plan for the Walk to Defeat ALS® and other assigned special events which includes a specific budget, timeline, logistics, volunteer activities and recruitment, marketing and sponsorship plans for each event.
– Achieve revenue goals and expense targets for the Walk to Defeat ALS and Community Partner Events.
– Plan and execute the Walk to Defeat ALS events including, but not limited to:
- Logistics support, ordering supplies, preparing collateral materials, tracking expenses/review invoices, and prepare budget/tracking reports.
- Donor relations and team building.
– Serve as the Chapter liaison for Community Partner Events. Act as spokesperson for the Walk to Defeat as required at events.
– With the Office Manager, administer the Community Health Charities (CHC) activities.
– Oversee data entry of walk donations, generate thank you/acknowledgement letters and tax receipts as needed.
– Assure data integrity in Chapter databases. Supervise the activities in this regard with the Administration staff.
– Provide staff support to the Executive Director and Walk Committee members.
– Responsible for identifying, recruiting, orienting and motivating essential volunteer leadership with sufficient community influence to meet revenue and mission goals.
– Assist the Director of Development in the planning and execution of the Chapter’s annual Strike Out! ALS Gala & Auction.
– General responsibilities include, but are not limited to: filing, answering phones, making copies, organizing mailings, etc.
– Maintain relationships with chapter volunteers and coordinate volunteer schedules; recruit new volunteers for office and event support.
– Oversee Walk donation processing and reconciliation of financial information; work directly with Office Manager to ensure accuracy of donation records and deposit reports.
– Provide final Walk reports to the National office. As requested, attend National Walk Forums, webinars, and other continued professional education opportunities.
– Deliver and/or pick up Walk related materials including but not limited to: t-shirts, sponsor packets and thank you gifts, volunteer recognition gifts etc.
– Ensure articulation of the Chapter’s desired image and position to the public. Provide consistent communication of image and position throughout the Chapter’s communication tools, and assure communication of image and position to all constituencies, both internal and external.
– Responsible for Chapter photography as needed, video recording and editing, PSA production, thank you videos, marketing videos, testimonials etc.
– Responsible for editorial direction, design, production and distribution of all Chapter publications, ads, PSA’s and swag items.
– Coordinate the production and editing of all newsletters, both print and electronic.
– Provide coordination and support with media and marketing efforts, including but not limited to, social media, Public Service Announcements/Press Releases and participating in awareness events and activities.
– Coordinate media efforts with PR/Marketing consultants as needed.
– With the Chapter’s social media consultant, develop Chapter website content, all social media content, email blasts and e-communications.
– Assist the Executive Director and/or public policy interns and volunteers in Chapter advocacy efforts, assisting with communication and logistics around these initiatives and organizing the printing, signing, and mailing of letters to legislators.
– Design Walk logos and other marketing items as needed
– Identifies target audiences and builds appropriate marketing and monitoring strategies to successfully recruit, acknowledge, and retain event donors/participants.
– Develops and coordinates promotional activities to ensure the success of events and to enhance public awareness of the organization and its mission.
– Manages and assures that media, material, in-kind and cash sponsorships are secured through a coordinated plan that includes proposal development, prospect identification, cultivation, retention and recognition.
– Maintains a working knowledge of The ALS Association mission and its programs and services. Is familiar with the chapter strategic plan and agrees to work within the plan goals and objectives to move the Chapter forward.
– Other duties as assigned.
– Bachelor’s degree and five years of progressive experience in event fundraising, sponsorship solicitation, and event planning.
– Excellent communication skills, including clear and superior written communication and strong verbal and interpersonal skills.
– Ability to work in a fast-paced environment; work under pressure with flexibility while accepting new challenges.
– Knowledge of Adobe design software and Microsoft Office suite of programs, especially Word, Excel, and PowerPoint .
– Experience with database management (Salsa Labs CRM (formerly DonorPro) and Blackbaud Luminate).
– Success in managing multiple projects and deadlines, excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
– Willingness to work evenings and weekends for special projects and events when needed.
– Must have own transportation – will be required to drive for work related events, errands etc.
The ALS Association Northern Ohio Chapter is an equal opportunity employer and believes that each team member makes a significant contribution to our success. That contribution should not be limited by the assigned responsibilities outlined in a job description. This job description, therefore, is designed to outline primary duties, qualifications and job scope, but not limit the incumbent nor the organization to just the work identified. It is our expectation that each team member will offer his/her services wherever and whenever necessary to ensure the success of our endeavors.