Urban Community School
The primary responsibility of this position is securing grant funding and managing the grants process. The Development and Grants Manager is responsible for setting monthly and annual targets, works toward researching new opportunities, and draft all correspondence with funders. The Development and Grants Manager assists the Advancement Director, President and Board in developing a comprehensive development and grant funding program to meet the short-term and long-term needs of the school.
Duties/Essential Job Functions:
▪ Studies the overall purpose of the organization and prioritizes goal according to 1-year, 5-year and long-range objectives.
▪ Manages a robust grant fundraising program, including the cultivation, solicitation and stewardship processes.
▪ Researches all grant opportunities.
▪ Writes all grant requests and collaborates with Advancement Director on additional development solicitation and stewardship including requests and reports.
▪ Creates and maintains a grants calendar.
▪ Tracks and maintains all grant records and actions in Raisers Edge.
▪ Sets regular targets for new grants and funding figures.
▪ Meets weekly with the Advancement Director regarding goals and strategies; researches and assists in prospecting for financial support, including foundations, corporations, government agencies, and individuals and determines best means of contacting each prospect.
▪ Develops fundraising literature suitable for the general public and previous small gift donors.
▪ Develops literature for major donors explaining the uses and benefits of charitable giving, as well as, charitable giving as part of estate planning.
▪ Collaborates with the Advancement Director concerning strategizing for individual meetings for the purpose of offering personalized strategies for giving to prospects.
▪ Handles other duties as assigned.
▪ Bachelor’s degree
▪ 3-5 Years experience in development and/or grant writing role.
▪ Detail oriented with excellent organizational and time management skills.
▪ Strong computer abilities and proficiency in databases, word-processing, spreadsheets and learning new software.
▪ Excellent communications skills; verbal, written, interpersonal.
▪ Service oriented with ability to effectively interact with donors, board and administration.
▪ Ability to work with confidential information.
▪ Resourceful with ability to work independently and as a member of a planning team.
▪ Eagerness to participate in skills enhancements.
Appropriate technical skills, including previous use of the following: Microsoft Word, Excel; Internet, E-mail, Desktop publishing, fax, copier, printer, scanner.