Facing History and Ourselves
Position: Director of Development, Cleveland
Reports to: Executive Director, Cleveland
Status: Full Time; Exempt
Location: Cleveland, OH (hybrid option available)
Start date: July 1, 2022
Facing History and Ourselves is a global education non-profit organization that challenges teachers and students to use lessons of history to stand up to bigotry and hate.
The Director of Development in the Cleveland office will work to strategically build the development effort to meet and exceed fundraising goals. The Director of Development will focus on major gifts work, with responsibility for managing a portfolio of donors with the capacity to give gifts of $5,000 and above. The Director of Development will coordinate along with staff, the Advisory Board, and the Facing History Special Events Team all social gatherings with fundraising goals. In addition, the Director of Development will work to grow and support our pipeline of donors, of all types and at all levels, and advance Facing History’s visibility and profile in the region.
Who We Are
We are an experienced and professional national Development team who care deeply about the mission and work of our organization. We are highly collaborative, both within our small Cleveland team and across all geographies, to ensure the effective local implementation of Facing History’s development strategies. We benefit from sharing and support through Facing History’s national development team and partnerships and learning from other geographies in order to ensure the effective local implementation of our larger development strategies. We depend on clear communication, commitment to each other as a team, positive energy, and a collaborative spirit.
Who You Are
You are a lifelong learner and a fundraising and relationship management expert who shares our passion for education, youth and community. You can communicate our mission effectively and convey urgency for our work. You are confident in your abilities to build relationships and secure funding for a worthy cause. You are an experienced leader and coach who is energized by the success of your team. You bring your experience and unique perspective to make us stronger together. You thrive in a team environment, bringing both strong collaboration skills and independent initiative.
- Collaborate closely with HQ administration in structuring regional development efforts.
- Work with the Executive Director and part time Development Assistant to generate and execute regional fundraising goals to fulfill the organization-wide strategic plan.
- Serve as primary manager for a portfolio of current and potential individual major donors.
- Grow and manage local and regional institutional donor and family foundation portfolios.
- Align the regional fundraising strategy with Facing History’s national/international fundraising strategy under the direct supervision of HQ, in order to achieve revenue goals for the region. All regional fundraising dollars raised for local, national, and international initiatives will be credited to annual regional fundraising goals.
- Engage targeted constituencies through additional programs and activities that deepen donor engagement and revenue growth, including new private individual and corporate events.
- In close partnership with the Executive Director and part time Development Assistant, work with the regional Advisory Board, communicating Facing History’s financial model, building board development strategies, providing stewardship and support to Advisory Board members, identifying and cultivating new members, and overseeing sub-committee activities.
Facing History understands that restrictive job requirements may exclude historically marginalized groups from applying to jobs for which they are qualified. We take an equitable and holistic screening approach. If you feel you have demonstrated experience and expertise relevant to perform this role, please don’t hesitate to apply!
- At least 7-10 years of nonprofit development experience or relationship management experience, with demonstrated success in major gifts work, including closing high level gifts and knowledge of moves-management fundraising. Must be able to demonstrate past successes as a major gift fundraiser.
Engaging relationship-builder with excellent interpersonal skills and strong oral and written communication skills; experience building relationships with Board members preferred
- Familiarity with the Cleveland philanthropic and educational communities.
- Creative and flexible self-starter able to work both individually and as a member of consensus-seeking teams
- Organized and effective project manager, with the ability to manage multiple needs and assignments in a fast-paced nonprofit setting
- Genuine commitment to the mission of Facing History and Ourselves and ability to articulate the importance of the organization’s work to a variety of audiences
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and Google office suite; experience with Salesforce or other fundraising databases required
- Experience in staff management required
- BA/BS degree or equivalent experience
Benefits Summary: In addition to meaningful and rewarding work, Facing History provides an excellent and competitive compensation and benefits package including medical with a health reimbursement account, dental, vision, life & AD&D, long-term & short-term disability insurance, 403(B) retirement plan with a discretionary organizational contribution, generous paid time off, an employee assistance program, travel assistance plan, pre-tax commuter spending accounts, flexible spending accounts, voluntary Colonial Life group plans, robust wellness programs through Welnys TV, aHealthyMe & weekly virtual yoga and meditation, WellCents 403(B) advisement, and a friendly work environment.
Facing History values a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status and record of arrest or conviction, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We are an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Facing History’s Commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion. At Facing History, we honor and value the uniqueness of each and every human being. Our strength as an organization that provides and distributes educational content and pedagogy to teachers across the globe is directly tied to our diversity of staff, leadership, educators, students, scholars, and volunteers. Our commitment is to treat individuals with dignity and to build and maintain a community of full participation, inclusive of the voices, needs, and contributions of all. As an organization, we are deeply aware of the legacies of injustices that persist in society and in the workplace, and we value and promote diversity, equity, and inclusion in their association with excellence.
To apply for this job please visit facinghistory.clearcompany.com.