Holden Forests & Gardens
Holden Forests & Gardens (HF&G) is made up of two of Northeast Ohio’s most important environmental and cultural institutions — Holden Arboretum and Cleveland Botanical Garden — whose mission is to connect people with the wonder, beauty, and value of trees and plants, to inspire action for healthy communities. The 14th largest public garden in the country, HF&G has close to 15,000 member households and more than 380,000 annual visitors who enjoy inspirational and educational experiences. HF&G is making a positive impact in the region and beyond through urban greening and forestry initiatives, environmental research, nature-based educational programs, and world-class visitor experiences at its two campuses.
When you join HF&G, you join a team of professionals who are passionate about improving Northeast Ohio’s communities through our mission-driven programs. By joining HF&G, you will not only have the opportunity to work in a beautiful setting, you will have the opportunity to contribute to our fulfilling and groundbreaking work.
We are seeking a Major Gifts Officer to join our team. Located at the Cleveland Botanical Garden campus, the Major Gift Officer is responsible for identifying, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding prospective and current donors who have the potential to make gifts of $10,000 or more, with emphasis on gifts of $50,000 or more, to support Holden Forests & Garden’s strategic priorities and fundraising initiatives.
- Identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward donors that have the capacity to make current and deferred gifts of $10,000 or more in support of Holden Forests & Garden’s priorities. Emphasis will be placed on working with donors who have the ability to make gifts of $50,000 or more.
- Manage portfolio of donors and prospective donors with specific goals and benchmarks intended to secure major, planned and estate gifts along with determining their level of support and engagement.
- Create strategies linking opportunities/needs with philanthropic interests of donors.
- Collaborate with the Annual Fund Manager and Manager of Development Operations to identify prospective major and planned giving donors and solicit high level annual gifts as needed ($5,000+).
- Prepare briefings and solicitation strategies, organize prospect visits, and draft correspondence related to solicitation and donor relations for President and CEO, Vice President of Development and Board of Directors.
- Document fundraising progress through contact reports, cultivation strategy plans, solicitation plans, and other communication materials as necessary.
- Prepare appropriate correspondence, case statements, reports, proposals, solicitations and other development-related communication materials in support of HF&G’s fundraising activities.
- Strive to meet and exceed goals such as monthly visits or yearly proposals.
- Travel regionally (primarily) to visit with prospective donors.
- Help promote a culture of philanthropy at Holden Forests & Gardens.
- Participate in overall Development department activities, e.g. planning retreats, team meetings and fundraising events.
- Participate in local and/or national peer groups to benchmark and track trends and best practices.
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- Minimum of five to seven years of relevant development experience.
- Strong written and verbal skills including proficiency with Microsoft Office and fundraising database programs (Altru or Raiser’s Edge experience preferred).
- Successful experience in making cold calls as well as developing cultivation and solicitation strategies.
- Commitment to professional ethics in working with highly confidential, sensitive information. Must abide by AFP’s Code of Ethics.
- Ability to effectively manage multiple tasks and meet contact goals and deadlines.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to effectively solve complex problems.
- Ability to work in teams and collaborate with other departments.
- Must pass a criminal background check
- Full-Time: Typical work week is Monday – Friday with some weekend and evening hours required.
- Must have a driving record in good standing
- Ability to travel regionally and nationally if needed.
- Must be flexible regarding work schedule – some evenings and weekends required.
Review of applications with begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Qualified applicants should submit a résumé with salary requirements online to: https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=db704977-d8c5-4be2-a36a-23f4002eddc0&ccId=19000101_000001&jobId=400556&source=CC2&lang=en_US
Holden Forests & Gardens is committed to equal opportunity, ADA employer and a drug-free workplace
To apply for this job please visit workforcenow.adp.com.