United Way of Greater Cleveland
United Way of Greater Cleveland is a “Flexible First” organization. “Flexible First” means that we embrace a hybrid model that allows employees to work both remotely and at our existing office. Employees can regularly work at our existing office for approximately 10 to 80 percent of their time each month based on business/operational needs, and the rest of the time they may work from a remote physical location of their choice within a reasonable commuting distance from the office which must be identified to the organization in advance. Human Resources and Hiring Manager will set expectations on the employee’s preferred time in office with consideration to business/operational needs. UWGC has not defined a reasonable distance, and expects employees will use judgment in determining this for themselves and understand the implications re: time commitment and cost of daily commute.
**Proof of COVID-19 vaccination will be required for employment.
Purpose of Position:
The Director, Marketing and Development Communications is a key leadership position with the United Way of Greater Cleveland with broad responsibilities to help craft the marketing message to donors and prospects and design the communications channels and collateral materials for sharing this message. The Director will lead the efforts in the design and implementation of a comprehensive and strategic development (fundraising) communications plan that supports the fundraising efforts of workplace, community, and principal gift departments and staff.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Essential Job Functions/Key Accountabilities:
- Works closely with the United Way leadership, development staff, branding staff, volunteer leadership and outside constituents from the corporate community and broader philanthropic community to develop and successfully execute strategies that increase the understanding of United Way’s mission and purpose.
- Survey donors, prospects, and nonprofits to better understand the philanthropic motivations of donors and measure their understanding of United Way leading to more effective messaging and communications. Create an annual “State of Philanthropy Report” that describes both the annual charitable support of United Way and the state of “giving” in Northeast Ohio.
- Work closely with workplace campaign leadership and staff to ensure the most effective messaging for volunteers and employee-donors. Create the collateral materials which may include print, online and video resources for the execution of the workplace campaign.
- Work closely with the staff responsible for expanding the annual fundraising to a broader community beyond the workplace. Assist with strategizing the print, online, social media and video strategies for these campaigns.
- Survey the corporate and workplace campaign clients to identify trends, priorities, and goals that allow United Way to better serve these companies and firms. Identify the messaging and marketing that supports corporate social responsibility priorities and human resource priorities of these companies.
- Conducts research and creates ways to link donors’ philanthropic goals with United Way programs, initiatives, and volunteer opportunities.
- Work with development staff in creating a portfolio of meaningful and impactful events and activities that further the mission of United Way and lead to successful identification, engagement, and solicitation of past and new donors.
- Help prepare the case for support for the ongoing fundraising activities and special campaigns and individual solicitations.
- Create a portfolio of materials on United Way services and information that demonstrates United Way’s impact and the impact of the donors’ philanthropy on the Greater Cleveland community.
- Works in partnership with a team of leadership gift and planned giving staff, giving society staff, and grant writers to identify new sources of funding.
- Recruit and steward major donors and volunteer ambassadors by building year-round engagement activities to maximize revenue, build donor loyalty, and meet United Way’s community impact objectives.
- Serve as a key liaison between resource development and the marketing and communications department at United Way as well as the key staff in Community Impact.
- Manages effectively by fostering an atmosphere of teamwork and ensures professional development of staff by creating an environment for achieving personal and professional goals.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
**Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Required Education and Experience:
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in a related field or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- 6 years of experience in marketing, communication, and/or entrepreneurial initiatives that demonstrate success in project management and successful program or project implementation.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Master’s degree preferred
Specialized Knowledge, Skills & Abilities (KSA):
- Knowledge of the Cleveland and Northeast Ohio philanthropic community is an asset.
- Familiarity with fundraising and development
- Relationship building skills
- Interpersonal and leadership skills
- Analytical and design thinking/creative problem solving
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Proactive, flexible and team player
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suites, CRM, and donor database.
- Empathy, creativity, thoughtfulness, and energy
Work Environment/Physical Demands (if any):
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential job functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
Working conditions are normal for an office environment which includes but not limited to the following:
- Local travel/occasional overnight travel
Ability and means to travel on a flexible schedule as needed, proof of liability and property damage insurance on vehicle used is required.
Occasionally required to stand’ walk; sit; use hands to fingers; hand or feel objects; tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; talk and hear.
Employees may need to occasionally lift up to 25 lbs.
The noise level in the work environment is usually minimal.
To apply for this job please visit www.unitedwaycleveland.org.